The decision-making process to undergo weight loss surgery is a partnership between the patient and the surgeon. In order to facilitate that process, let’s look at some of the reasons why weight loss surgery might be the right option for you:
You may be a candidate for weight loss surgery if:
- You have a body mass index (BMI) equal to or greater than 40.
- You have a BMI of 35 or greater as well as obesity-related health problems.
- You are more than 100 pounds overweight.
- You have been unable to lose weight through diet and exercise alone.
Being obese or overweight negatively impacts your body and your health increasing your risk for developing conditions such as:
- Diabetes: People who are obese are 10 times more likely to develop diabetes type 2 which can cause kidney disease, slow-healing wounds, nerve damage, blindness, impotence and many other complications.
- Heart disease: About 3 of 4 cases of high blood pressure are related to obesity. Obesity is an important risk factor for different types of heart disease.
- Respiratory problems: Obese individuals have diminished lung capacity, which increases their risk of lung infections. More than 50% of those with obesity also suffer from sleep apnea.
- Bone and joint disorders: Obesity increases the stress on the bones and joints leading to degenerative joint conditions such as osteoarthritis, gout, spinal disorders, and back pain.
- Cancer: It is estimated that obesity causes up to 90,000 deaths due to cancer every year. Among those who are morbidly obese, the risk of cancer is 62% higher in women and 52% higher in men.
As you can see, it’s not just a matter of trimming a few inches off your waistline, but also preventing disease, restoring health and improving self-confidence through weight-loss surgery.
If you are struggling to lose your weight and it seems like you are trapped in an endless weight loss/weight gain cycle no matter what you do, weight loss surgery may be the right choice for you. Visit the weight loss surgery specialists at Greater Houston Gastroenterology for an evaluation and treatment recommendation.
Greater Houston Gastroenterology is the largest full-service gastroenterology group in the Houston metropolitan area, bringing high quality, cost-effective personalized care to patients from The Woodlands and North Houston to Sugar Land, Richmond, Pearland, and Angleton. Please reach out of us if you have questions or would like additional information.