Fun & feasting during the holiday season can quickly result in undesirable weight gain if you are not careful. What’s worse is according to research statistics, the pounds you put on during the holidays are the most difficult to lose. Here are a few tips that will help you take part in the festivities while preventing holiday weight gain:
- Have a healthy snack before going to the party: It will be much easier to resist all the sugar-filled treats and candies when you are not hungry.
- Focus on Friends, Not Food: Don’t let food take the center stage at holiday gatherings. Spend your time and energy socializing with those around you. After all, it’s the season to be jolly with friends and family.
- Plan fun activities that will burn calories: Step out of the living room and into the great outdoors. Go skiing, bowling, or do something you have never done before. New experiences are the best way to create lasting memories.
- Practice moderation: It would be virtually impossible to survive the holiday season without indulging in a few tasty delights. Allow yourself the occasional treat without feeling guilty. Just make sure it is only one candy or one cookie and not the whole jar.
- Beware of liquid calories: The holiday season notoriously tempts us with drinks loaded with empty calories such as eggnog, coffee with whipped cream, and spiced cider. Choose instead to stick with sparkling water with a dash of fruit juice or a single glass of wine.
- Exercise in small bursts: Experts recommend at least 30 minutes of exercise every day, but it does not have to be done all at once. You can break your exercise routine or physical activity into 2 or 3 small sessions whenever possible throughout the day.
With help from the tips mentioned above and a little bit of planning, you will be able to enjoy the holiday season while maintaining your long-term health and fitness goals.